Chemistry ~ Week 3

 


On Green Chemistry

 

The year was 2010. Karl Lagerfeld decides its time for fashion to address Climate Change. How to go about this? … by airlifting a 265-ton iceberg from Sweden to Paris as the backdrop to his Fall /Winter collection (the iceberg was kept at a consistent temperature of 25* F and later repatriated to Sweden). I suppose that’s one way to raise awareness, albeit extremely problematic in retrospect. Though significantly less complex then the iceberg across the oceans scheme discussed in class, I found it a fascinating point of reflection on how the fashion industry has evolved and reckoned with the issues that arise from it. Until we deal with our addiction to consumption, much of our progress is ever subtler greenwashing. Okay, now on to the principles of Green Chemistry. A great idea, though still very cerebral in nature. How do we bring these principles down to earth? I agree that this is all quite obvious. Profit and convenience have a way of making simple ideas difficult to embrace. 

Also, I would be remiss not to include this fascinating look into a rising TikTok nuclear energy influencer. Watch the video where she talks about the denisty of Uranium.



💧 On Hydrogen 💧

This speaks to the hope that lies in small-scale, geographically tailored solutions. By tuning into the elements that already exist in an environment, and consciously harnessing them in a balanced way, we might maintain harmony with the earth. Though, I think it is always important to retain a bit of skepticism. Often we aren’t yet aware of consequences that arise when we implementing things on a mass level. I think the key lies in being open to innovation and change, while being wary of rapid unchecked growth, as well as acknowledging that one size does not fit all when seeking solutions. 

 

Comments

  1. An iceberg at a fashion show! It's hard to believe and then not at all. While I can appreciate the thought behind it, I too find it extremely problematic and strange. The irony is not lost here and I can only hope this iceberg is still alive and well. Iceberg...but make it fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree, “ Often we aren’t yet aware of consequences that arise when we implementing things on a mass level.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree, “ Often we aren’t yet aware of consequences that arise when we implementing things on a mass level.”

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing that Tik Tok influencer! I had no idea about the positive potential of nuclear energy and can see why her way of communicating information via social media is super effective. I definitely also see the dangers of this energy source but agree that we need to stop the use of fossil fuels immediately!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment